Werner ends goal drought for Chelsea

[复制链接]

Threads

Xpoints

XClub Fans

X'Club badge exclusive for Pakistanpost star1post star2post star3

发表于 2021-11-05 11:30:55 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
[p]      

[p]Blues on revival path as they beat Newcastle 2-0 to enter Premier League’s top four

[p]LONDON:

[p]Timo Werner ended his Premier League goal drought as the Chelsea forward sealed a 2-0 win against Newcastle that lifted the Blues into fourth place on Monday.

[p]Werner netted late in the first half at Stamford Bridge after setting up Olivier Giroud's opener for Thomas Tuchel's revitalised team.

[p]It was a cathartic moment for Werner, who had gone 14 league games without a goal since scoring against Sheffield United in November.

[p]The 24-year-old's only goal in his previous 19 matches in all competitions had come against minnows Morecambe in the FA Cup.

[p]Werner was heralded as one of the best young strikers in Europe after his £50 million ($69 million) move from Leipzig in the close-season.

[p]That hype has seemed misplaced during a difficult first season in England, but his 10th goal for Chelsea capped a lively performance that hinted at better things to come.

[p]"As a striker you always want to score. The last month was hard. I was not happy. Glad I scored today," said Werner, who praised his compatriot Tuchel's role in his performance.

[p]"It's helped me that someone can scream at me in German! He's a really good guy and has a good idea of the football we want to play."

[p]Tuchel added: "Timo was decisive with an assist and goal. I'm very happy with that and he was working hard in the last few matches."

[p]Tuchel is yet to lose in six games since replacing the sacked Frank Lampard in January, with five successive victories in all competitions suggesting the former Paris Saint-Germain boss could prove a shrewd appointment.

[p]Chelsea are back in the Champions League places -- the minimum requirement for a Blues boss -- after climbing above West Ham on goal difference.

[p]Tuchel is also two points above his fellow German Jurgen Klopp, whose troubled champions Liverpool are languishing in sixth place.

[p]"Top four is the target and stays the target, there are many team behind us chasing," Tuchel said.

[p]"We had many points to recover and it stays a big challenge because many games are coming. We are going to play teams from the top and bottom, every game is difficult and we will keep fighting."

[p]Cesar Azpilicueta went close early on as his header beat Newcastle keeper Darlow but was nodded off the line by Dwight Gayle.

[p]Abraham was replaced by Giroud after suffering an ankle injury in a challenge with Jamaal Lascelles.

[p]Werner was inches away from scoring when he stretched to reach Alonso's header, but the German's toe-poked effort drifted just wide.

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?Register

x
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | Register

本版积分规则

Infinix Official Website|Infinix official mall|infinix Note 4|XCLUB-COOL STUFF AROUND YOU

GMT+8, 2021-11-27 13:35 , Processed in 0.050352 second(s), 21 queries .